Wednesday, February 11, 2015

West Town

For this week's prayer focus I wanted to go to a different area of the city since we've been focused on the far North side the last three weeks.  West Town is the community to the Northwest of the Loop in the downtown of Chicago, west of the Chicago river.  It's an area I really didn't know much about but have had fun researching the area and even got to spend yesterday afternoon there praying over this community.

West Town is made up of very distinct neighborhoods.  Some of them are East Village, River West, Noble Square, Ukrainian Village and Wicker Park.  The area used to be known as Polish Downtown with Division Street called Polish Broadway.  Immigrants coming from Poland accelerated during and after World War II, with an estimated 150,000 coming.  Polish Americans now make up 6.7% of Chicago's population.  Polish is the third largest spoken language in Chicago after English and Spanish.  (Wikipedia)

Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church
Built in 1899-2003
There were two things that I prayed for as I walked and traveled around West Town and I'd love for you to focus on them as well. The first is that I was once again reminded that the world is represented here in the city.  I loved seeing all the diversity in this area as well.  I saw a few beautiful old Cathedrals built by Russian, Ukrainian and Polish immigrants.  Just looking at all the Polish immigrants that came you can see what a huge impact they have had on our city. Please join me in thanking God for this wonderful gift of diversity and all the cultures and peoples that it brings.  Pray also that we would utilize it for His good and it would stop being something that divides us.

The second thing I prayed was for the working class in this area. As I drove around I saw many businesses and factories.  I was marked by thinking how the working class has helped make Chicago what it is today.  I also prayed against a sense of hopelessness.  Pray that the hard workers in Chicago would be blessed in their work and by their families and friends around them.  Pray that God would show himself real to them and give them great hope.

Skyline from West Town yesterday!

Thanks again for joining me in praying for our great city.  I am loving praying intentionally like this. I think I love the city even more!

Next week: Near West Side

No comments:

Post a Comment